Dane adresowe:

Galeria Sztuki Współczesnej Elektrownia
ul. Bolesława i Władysława Dehnelów 45
41-250 Czeladź
tel.: 32 263 00 88

Jesteś na: Strona główna / English version / About Gallery / History

History

The building of current Elektrownia Gallery was built between 1902 and 1908 and based on the design of the outstanding Polish architect Józef Pius Dziekoński (1844-1927), the author of many monumental public buildings designs in Europe. It is a rectangular projection with an entrance on the axis, with a fairly elaborate block. Its characteristic element is the tower, stylized as gothic with shooting holes, and the building's facade is made of brick, plastered walls in a frame division with axes, cornices and brick architectural details.

The building impresses with its excellent architecture and the original machinery and equipment of the former power plant, preserved in excellent condition. The impressive "Wanda" generator, once acting as an energy block with a two-stage and two-cylinder steam engine, makes a huge impression. The generator was produced in 1903 by Maschinenfabrik Oerlikon Schweiz. From 1924 it worked as an engine and the steam engine as a compressor. Other preserved devices include a compressor, giant converters, a control panel with shiny clocks and an impressive 8 ton crane. This place has high historical value.

In 2005, the Association of Cultural Initiatives began its activity and the Association was the initiator of the establishment of The Elektrownia Contemporary Art Gallery. In the years from 2005 to 2011, the Association, in cooperation with the City of Czeladź, organised over 30 exhibitions. In October 2010, thanks to the efforts of the Association and previous activities for the dissemination of culture, the facility was included in the Industrial Monuments Route. This event started a new chapter in the history of the Gallery. Due to the historic nature of this post-industrial building and the need for its revitalization, the City of Czeladź has taken the necessary steps to obtain funding from the European Union for this purpose. Thanks to the favor of the Silesian Voivodeship Marshal's Office and the support of the Czeladź City Hall, on the 6th of December 2011, a contract was signed for co-financing the project entitled "Adaptation and reconstruction of the building of the Contemporary Art Gallery ELEKTROWNIA in Czeladź" as part of the "Regional Operational Program of the Silesian Voivodeship for 2007-2013. Sustainable urban development. Revitalization of degraded areas. Revitalization - small cities”, under which Czeladź obtained over PLN 10 million from EU funds.

On the 2nd of September 2012, Municipal Buildings Enterprise – as a substitute investor - signed a contract for the implementation of the investment entitled "Adaptation and reconstruction of the building of the Contemporary Art Gallery ELEKTROWNIA in Czeladz" on the basis of the prepared Functional Program and the tender procedure carried out in the "design, build" mode. Thanks to the EU funds obtained, the facility has been adapted to modern standards and it can now serve many purposes: exhibition function – space for visitors in the Main Hall with monumental, conference function – for councils, meetings, conferences in the conference room and in the multimedia hall as well as workshop function – artistic workshop room and exibition place.

Two car parks with a total of 83 parking spaces and a passage with a theme park including a permanent exhibition, presented on 12 information panels, devoted to the topic of industrial heritage and the history of the Saturn mine were created right next to The Elektrownia Gallery. This investment "Land development and construction of the tourist-related base of the Saturn Mine in Czeladz" also received funding from the European Regional Development Fund under the Regional Operational Program of the Silesian Voivodeship for 2007-2013. Work on restoring the power plant's splendor began in 2013. On the 27th of November 27 2013, the opening ceremony of The Elektrownia Contemporary Art Gallery took place.

On the 7th of May 2014, the facility won the title SUPER UNIT. This is an award in a plebiscite organised by the Association for the Development of the Upper Silesian Metropolis „Moje Miasto” in Katowice for the best architectural implementation in the region.

Redakcja strony: History Rejestr zmian

  • Podmiot udostępniający informację: 
  • Pierwsza publikacja:Elektrownia Galeria2020-02-05 17:03:43
  • Aktualizacja publikacji:Elektrownia Galeria2020-02-10 15:00:16
  • Wytworzenie publikacji:Elektrownia Galeria2020-02-10 15:00:13
  • Zatwierdzenie informacji:Elektrownia Galeria2020-02-10 15:00:13
Drukuj Liczba odwiedzin: 56
Unia Europejska, Europejski Fundusz Rozwoju Regionalnego

Obsługa i nadzór techniczny: IntraCOM.pl